Now new mums are starting to venue out for the first time to more sociable environments, I am hearing them question… Is what I am experiencing ‘normal’ ?
Each mum and baby diad is unique, each pregnancy and birth are unique, as are all postnatal experiences.
BUT what I do notice is that there are common themes to the questions that new mums ask themselves particulary when it comes to the subject of ‘Is what me and my baby are experiencing ‘normal’.
There is nowhere like a cafe or a baby class to bring all of those feelings to the front of mums thoughts, particularly when it comes to baby crying or baby being unsettled. Most mums worry it is only their child who crys in public. I heard this saying years ago which is so true;
“nobody hears your baby crying as loud as you do”
This is the tip of the iceberg but here are a few very normal, very common things you will witness;
- Babies have no concept of your schedule or timings
- They will often do a poo explosion as you are leaving your home
- You will often be late for meetups (see point 2)
- Baby poo and [lack of] sleep will become your most discussed topics
- You or your baby usually will have have spit ups or baby milk sick on shoulders and/or front
- All babies cry, often, and commonly somewhere tricky like when trying to find your purse at a checkout
- Public nappy changes takes the skills of a ninja
- Baby wants to be rocked, held, bounced, fed pretty much constantly
- Baby crys, fusses, feeds, needs a change during baby classes and is finally ready to begin for the final 5 mins of the class
So to answer the question ‘is what me and my baby are experiencing ‘normal’? then the chances are yes
If you are worried or concerned about how you and your baby are doing then please do speak to somebody, a health professional or trusted friend or independent person.
The Gentle Touch have been delivering courses and class for new parents for nearly 10 years. Emma is passionate about providing support for Mums during their transition to motherhood. If you would like to join a baby massage course then use our Book Now button to see upcoming courses.