How do you deal with food waste in Baby Led Weaning (BLW)?
Baby Led Weaning can lead to some wasted food as your baby explores the motions of eating. For some babies picking up food, putting in their mouth can be rather messy with lots ending up on the floor. How should you deal with this food waste?
If you’re giving your baby finger foods and a lot ends up on the floor how do you feel about it?
Some babies throw everything on the floor, it’s a kind of game to them, to see what happens when food gets dropped off the side of the highchair. They can see it as a kind of game and relish the reaction you give, so think about how you react when it happens.
Some things you can consider are:
- Limiting portion sizes so you only give a small amount at a time. When that’s eaten give a bit more.
- If your baby throws the bowl off the highchair you can get bowls and plates with suction pads on to fix them to the tray.
- Try a clean plastic floor covering (like a table cloth) under the high chair so food can be picked up and put back on the tray.
- Remember it’s only a short while and whilst no-one wants to waste food it won’t be forever that your baby is exploring food in this way.
- Limit meal times to 20 mins max – babies can get bored if left in their chair too long.
How do you deal with any food that gets dropped / thrown? Send us your tips or join our Facebook group (Baby Nutrition & Weaning) where we discuss tips for starting your baby on solid foods.
If you’d like to learn more about Baby Nutrition and Weaning come to our next class or organise one for you and a group of friends at your home. Our bookings page
has details of all our classes or email us to ask about organising a 1:1 session or private group class – email@example.com